Kruger National Park, South Africa
Royal Malewane is a luxury safari lodge in South Africa’s Greater Kruger National Park that exudes the romance and beauty of a bygone age while offering every modern comfort. The most qualified guiding team in Africa delivers an unrivaled wildlife experience providing fascinating insights into the complex ecosystems of the South African bushveld.
There are two accommodation options at Royal Malewane – Main Lodge which is more classic and grand in style and The Farmstead which is more intimate and contemporary.
Whichever style you choose, the expert guides will bring you thrillingly close to the Big Five. Indulge in sensual spa treatments and let the passion of the chefs delight you with nightly feasts under the African stars.
- Use solar energisers for the electric fences.
- Continuously support and uplift various educational facilities in nearby villages. These include the Sigagule Crèche, Langetulani Crèche and Slekhiso Primary School.
- Have been involved with raising funds and adding infrastructure to help uplift Langetulani Crèche towards being fully functional.
- Aim to expose children at the local crèches to the importance of eco-tourism and inspire an environmentally sustainable future. Royal Malewane provides educational day trips for pupils and teachers of the local Slekhiso Primary School.
- Partake in the “Santa Shoe Box” project every year, which facilitates the giving of gifts over the Festive Season to underprivileged children in the local community.
- Royal Malewane only employs local contractors.
- Royal Malewane implemented a special teacher-training program for the staff at the Sigagule Crèche (and for several other rural pre-schools in the immediate area).
- The Royal Malewane Apprenticeship Programme takes on two apprentice rangers with aptitude and potential on a rolling two-year cycle. The aim of this 2-year apprenticeship is for a mentor, who has a minimum of ten years’ experience, to share and impart critical knowledge and an understanding of the complex nature of professional field guiding.
- Provide continuous training for staff members through various health & safety, first aid, fire safety, inter-department, inter-company, study assistance, business coaching, and purpose & value initiatives.
- Provide access for staff members to have an annual health check-up and contribute to every staff members’ Medical Aid.
- Royal Malewane has provided staff with accommodation on and off the reserve in partnership with the local communities.
- Founding member of the Greater Kruger Environmental Protection Foundation (“GKEPF”) which is a unique anti-poaching initiative.
- Royal Malewane’s Counter-Poaching Dog Unit is a highly specialised unit made up of several remarkably capable dogs trained in counter-poaching activities, and a team of armed, special force handlers that specialise in protecting threatened species such as rhinos, leopards and pangolin.
- Guests are invited to visit the crèches, which are approximately a 20-minute drive from the main lodge.
- Royal Malewane, together with the help of its generous guests, has ensured the addition of 4 classrooms, bathroom facilities, a kitchen and dining area, boreholes and two substantial vegetable gardens at Sigagule Crèche.
- The Farmstead land is leased from the local community. Not only will The Royal Portfolio employ and develop members of the community, but at the end of that long lease, both the land and the asset will revert to the community with the option to continue working with The Royal Portfolio in perpetuity.
- Use glass bottles with metal screw cap lids and paper straws.
- The take away items (e.g. cups) are sourced from GreenHome who provide stock made from bamboo, a sustainable and biodegradable material.
- We have different coloured bins to help with recycling.
6 Luxury Suites (1 bedroom)
2 Royal Suites (2 bedrooms)
1 Africa House (6 bedrooms)
3 Luxury Farm Suites (1 bedroom)
1 Farmhouse (3 bedrooms)
Bar & Restaurant
Big 5 Game Drives
Specialist Photographic Safaris
The easiest way to get there is flying to Johannesburg International Airport and take one of the daily SA Express Airways fly to HDA Hoedspruit Airport, only 35 minutes road trip away from the property.
From Cape Town International Airport, you can take a flight to Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (2.5 hours away) or Hoedspruit Airport.
South Africa offers two main seasons:
Summer “Wet Season” (October – April): The region enjoys summer rains and dramatic thunder storms , temperatures soar into the 30°C in the summer months.
Winter “Dry Season” (May – September): The winter months are drier and cooler – there is very little rainfall and the humidity is very low.
Good to Know
All the game rangers at Royal Malewane hold the highest professional Field Guides Association of Southern Africa (FGASA) qualifications as well as advanced rifle handling certificates. These qualifications ensure that guests enjoy an exceptional game viewing experience – not only while on game drive, but also on foot during bush walks.
The waters of Royal Malewane Bush Spa is an award winning spa in the heart of the African bush in complete harmony with its natural surroundings. Facilities at the safari spa are comprehensive and include a fully-equipped gym, a heated lap pool, steam room, and private casitas for relaxation or treatments.