Cape Town, South Africa
The Silo Hotel has been built in the grain elevator portion of the historic grain silo complex occupying six floors above Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (MOCAA) which houses Africa’s largest collection of contemporary African art. The exterior of the building was designed by Heatherwick Studio. From the outside, the greatest visible change to the building’s original structure is the addition of the ingenious glass windows inserted into the geometry of the hotel floors. These multi-faceted structures glisten like diamonds during the day while at night the building transforms into a glowing beacon in the Table Bay harbour.
- Use energy-saving light bulbs.
- Double glazed windows throughout the hotel means less use of energy for insulation.
- The air conditioning system utilises the central sea water cooling plant, reducing energy and water consumption.
- Leliebloem House is a non-profit Child & Youth Care Centre which serves as a home-away-from-home for vulnerable children. For the past 35 years, The Silo Hotel and the Biden family have been involved with the funding of various projects, food and basic supplies.
- The Silo Hotel is actively involved in raising awareness and funds for Atlantic Hope, a safety house for vulnerable babies, through educational initiatives.
- In response to Covid-19, The Royal Portfolio Foundation and the staff at The Silo Hotel have continued to support numerous feeding schemes which aim to provide temporary relief to the most vulnerable children and their families.
- Incredible array of local artists on display throughout the hotel.
- Empower local entrepreneurs through outsourced services and suppliers.
- Furniture and finishing’s throughout the hotel are sourced locally.
- Provide training and internship programs for students from local colleges and academies.
- Provide continuous training for staff members through various health & safety, first aid, fire safety, inter-department, inter-company, study assistance, business coaching, and purpose & value initiatives.
- Provide access for staff members to have an annual health check-up and contribute to every staff members’ Medical Aid.
- The Silo Hotel assists The South African Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds (SANCCOB) by raising funds through various educational campaigns and creating awareness amongst guests.
- Source the freshest ingredients from local suppliers of fruit, vegetables, baked goods, dairy, freshwater salmon and trout, wines, and a variety of handmade chocolate treats. These suppliers are all local, small-scale operations that in turn support their immediate communities.
- Have removed all plastic bottles and straws.
- All showerheads have been replaced with certified water-saving attachments.
- Succulents and astroturf are used on the rooftop to minimise water use.
- Restrictors have been fitted to all water outlets.
- Disposable napkins reduce laundry water consumption.
- Ice bucket water is reused for cleaning.
8 Silo Rooms
6 Superior Suites
7 Deluxe Superior Suites
4 Family Suites
2 Royal Suites
Bar & Restaurant
Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens
Chapman’s Peak Dive
The hotel is located only 25 minutes away from Cape Town International Airport.
Cape Town enjoys a Mediterranean type climate. Summer runs from October until April when daytime temperatures are usually over 22°C. The hottest months are December, January and February when temperatures soar into the 30s. Clear-blue skies and warm summer evenings are to be expected throughout the summer months. June, July and August are the winter months which bring much milder temperatures and winter rainfall.
Good to Know
Zeitz Museum Of Contemporary Art Africa (MOCAA), situated below The Silo Hotel opened its doors in September 2017. The museum joins the likes of the Tate Modern in London, MoMA in New York, and Museo Nacional del Prado in Madrid as a key destination attraction for locals and international visitors alike.
The Silo Spa, located on the fourth floor of The Silo Hotel, has five treatment rooms, two of which can be made into a couple’s room. The Silo Spa is a tranquil space in which guests can relax and indulge in the latest therapies and spa techniques. There’s also a gym, sauna and a dedicated manicure and pedicure area.